Electrical Safety Tips: During & after a storm…
Storm season will soon be upon us so start preparing now. There are many simple things you can do before, during and after a storm or flood to be electrically safe in the home. Follow these Before, During & After tips to protect & keep your family and pets safe, preserve electrical equipment and deal with potential damage to the home’s electrical system.
- Install a safety switch & test it regularly.
- Speak to us about surge protection – a small investment in this could save you thousands in replacing appliances.
- Know where to turn off your power, gas and water supply in an emergency.
- Pack up electrical equipment that’s not in use and store in a safe place.
- Go offline before the storm. When a storm approaches switch off and unplug electrical equipment, especially sensitive appliances such as computers and TVs.
- Unplug outside TVs and non–fixed aerials and store in a dry area.
- Listen to radio/news for weather updates
- If flood waters are expected, shift electrical equipment to higher locations.
- During a storm, stay indoors.
- Know your numbers: SES, Energex etc.
- If a power interruption occurs, turn off and unplug electrical items.Listen to your local radio station, follow Energex on Facebook and Twitter or check the power outages page for the latest restoration updates.
- Use a torch for light if you’ve lost power and avoid using candles.
- Never use wet or damp electrical items.
- Be mindful of the hidden dangers of fallen power lines when moving branches or debris.
- Stay away from fallen power lines.
- Alert people of any dangers.
- Call Energex on 13 19 62 to report any fallen power lines or network damage.